Wednesday 5 October 2011

"Is she self employed or not?" Real conversation today with officialdom

"This Roma mother of four has been recognised as self-employed by the Job Centre. That's why they have given her a National Insurance Number and benefits to support her four children."
"That may be so, but I don't recognise her self-employed status.  That's why we cannot help her with accomodation when she will be evicted from her home in three weeks time."
"It would be helpful for us to know why the Job Centre see her as self-employed and you don't.  Could you explain please as I'm new to this field."
"We simply don't see that the work she has done qualifies her as self-employed."
"What would she have to do to become self-employed in your sight? Are there any criteria or thresholds of income?"
"No, there are no thresholds."
"So you can't say she would have to earn so and so much to be recognised?"
"No"
"Would you say then that you make your decision in a purely intuitive way?"
"Yes."
"What would this Roma lady have to have in place to be recognised as self-employed, if we were to come back in a year's time?"
"It's not possible to define it in that way."
"I see."
"My wife is also a foreign national, but she is recognised as self-employed.  You'll understand why this is proving hard for me to understand.  Would you agree that there is no joined up thinking between yourselves and the Job Centre."
"Yes.  But I tell you what I can do for you.  I'll speak to my superior about it.  Maybe she will make a different ruling that I am doing."

The next interview has been offered days before the Roma mother is to be evicted on the streets.  The home she has been renting for over a year is to be repossessed following a legal hearing that ruled against the landlord.  Watch this space...

Meanwhile, later today...

No comments:

Post a Comment